Agenda – Commission Meeting – April 3, 2014
Shasta Local Agency Formation Commission
Regular Meeting: April 3, 2014 at 9:00 a.m.
Shasta Lake City Council Chambers
4488 Red Bluff Street, Shasta Lake, CA 96019
1. CALL TO ORDER
a. Roll Call
b. Pledge of Allegiance offered by Commissioner Brenda Haynes
2. PUBLIC COMMENT
Members of the public are invited to address the Commission at this time regarding any item that is not scheduled for discussion as part of this agenda, and that are within the jurisdiction of LAFCO. Comments may be limited to three (3) minutes per person. No action will be taken by the Commission at this meeting as a result of items presented at this time.
3. ADOPTION OF AGENDA
a. Additions, Changes
b. Meeting Protocol; Introduction of Meeting Comment Card use (Chair)
c. Business/Campaign Conflict Disclosures* (Chair)
4. SPECIAL PRESENTATIONS/ANNOUNCEMENTS: None
5. CONSENT CALENDAR (Government Coded 56857)
a. Approval of minutes
1) March 6, 2014 special meeting
b. Financial reports and statements: None (3rd Quarter reports due in May)
c. Notification of pending (received) applications (information only)
1) Union School Road Reorganization: Mountain Gate Community Services District; received October 17, 2013; response to comments received and notice of proposal being circulated.
2) Deschutes Road Area Annexation: City of Anderson; received December 18, 2013, response to comments received and notice of proposal being circulated.
6. CORRESPONDENCE & CLAIMS: None
7. SCHEDULED PUBLIC HEARINGS (Consideration/Action)
Please Note: Only those issues which are brought up at the public hearing described in this agenda or in written correspondence delivered to the LAFCO Commissioners at or prior to the hearing, may be raised in any legal challenge to the actions taken by the Commission.
a. SOI/MSR Update Hearings:
1) Western Shasta Resource Conservation District
2) Fall River Resource Conservation District (additional attachments)
3) Shasta County Mosquito & Vector Control District (additional attachments)
4) Burney Mosquito Abatement District
5) Pine Grove Mosquito Abatement District
b. Application/proposal Hearings: None
c. Continued Hearings: None
d. Conducting Authority Hearings: None
e. Annual Budget Hearings: None
8. NEW BUSINESS: None
9. OLD BUSINESS Continued or non-hearing related matters (Possible Actions)
a. Commission Committee Reports:
10. CLOSED SESSION
a. Items Under Consideration During Closed Session:
1) Pursuant to Government Code Section 54956.9: Existing Litigation (Briggs, et al. v. Shasta LAFCO)
2) Pursuant to Government Code Section 54956.9(c): Potential Litigation
b. Return to Open Session & Announcement of Any Reportable Actions
11. EXECUTIVE OFFICER REPORTS
a. Administrative & Operations
1. Staffing: None
a) SOI/MSR Status Update
b) Other staff Reports: None
12. COMMISSIONER ANNOUNCEMENTS
13. STAFF ANNOUNCEMENTS
a. Next Meeting date and location: May 1, 2014 @ Anderson City Council Chambers
b. Future proposed agenda items
1) SOI/MSR for County Service Area #1 – Shasta County Fire
2) SOI/MSR Independent Fire Protection Districts
i. Buckeye FPD
ii. Burney FPD
iii. Castella FPD
iv. Fall River FPD
v. McArthur FPD
c. CALAFCO Staff Workshop April 23-25 in Berkeley, “Building Bridges to the Future: Collaboration & Cooperation”; the office will be closed during those dates.
14. ADJOURNMENT OF MEETING
PLEASE NOTE: The Shasta Local Agency Formation Commission (LAFCO) welcomes you to its meetings which are regularly scheduled for the first Thursday of every other month beginning at 9:00 a.m. This meeting is to be held as noticed above. Meeting times and locations may be changed from time to time when necessary. Your interest is encouraged and appreciated. If requested, the agenda and its documents shall be made available alternate formats to persons with a disability pursuant to Section 202 of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, and federal rules and regulations adopted in implementation thereof. Upon receipt of written request, the requested materials will be mailed at the time the agenda is posted pursuant to Government Code 54954.2.
Note for Item 3.c:
*Government Code Section 84608 requires that a Commissioner (regular or alternate) disqualify herself or himself and not participate in a proceeding involving an “entitlement for use” application if, within the last twelve (12) months, the Commissioner has received $250.00 or more in business or campaign contributions from an applicant, an agent of an applicant, or any financially interested person who actively supports or opposes a decision on the matter. A LAFCO decision approving a proposal (e.g., for an annexation) will often be an “entitlement for use” within the meaning of Section 84308. Sphere of Influence determinations are exempt under Government Code Section 84308. If you are an applicant or an agent of an applicant on such a matter to be heard by the Commission and you have made business or campaign contributions totaling $250.00 or more to any Commissioner in the past twelve (12) months, Section 84308(d) requires that you disclose that fact for the official record of the proceeding. The disclosure of any such contribution (including the amount of the contribution and the name of the recipient Commissioner) must be made either 1) in writing and delivered to the Secretary of the Commission prior to the hearing on the matter, or 2) By oral declaration made at the time the hearing on the matter is opened.